Founded in the late 1960s by Agostino Natalini in the Cervognano area, Le Berne covers approximately 21 hectares of land, of which 10 hectares are planted to vines & 3 hectares are devoted to olive groves. A clone of Sangiovese known by the locals in Montepulciano as Blackthorn -or- Prugnolo Gentile is the main varietal, with small amounts of indigenous Tuscan varietals such as Colorino & Mammolo used for blending. The ancient soils here are of Pliocene origin, containing many shells & stones. Their Riserva is comprised of mostly old vine fruit, with some vines up to 60 years old. The name Berne is derived from a late Etruscan/Latin term meaning hilltop. It is also worth noting Agostino has been the President of the Consorzio del Vino Nobile di Montepulciano since 2012.
1295 Evans Avenue
San Francisco, CA 94124